Stuffed eggplant always look like it needs a lot of skill to put together but it is actually very simple to put together. It’s also a really flexible meal to cook because you can fill them with pretty much anything you have got in the fridge.
If you’re after a small, light meal then you could just go with a little cheese and tomato filling. If you’re looking for something more substantial then you could fill rice or even meat or tuna.
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups tomato sauce ﴾homemade or store‐bought﴿
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, washed and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Cut eggplant in half, and place each half cut side down on a foil‐lined baking sheet. Rub eggplant with 1 tablespoon olive oil and bake for about 25 minutes until tender.
3. Once cool, scoop out the cooked flesh of the eggplant, leaving about 1/2 inch of flesh inside each half. Set aside scooped out eggplant.
4. Heat remaining olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium‐high heat and sauté onion and mushroom until softened.
5. Add tomato and cook for another 3 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
6. Season with salt and pepper and oregano, then add scooped out eggplant to the skillet. Stir in tomato sauce and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Stuff eggplant shells with tomato veggie mixture and top with mozzarella.
8. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
9. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.