Cherai style sea food preparation is my personal favorite way of preparation. Seafood delicacies like prawns fry & curries, Pearl spot fry & curry prepared in traditional way, Sardine fried in Plantain leaf. In fact the long coast and the backwaters have its own simple and tasty preparation. Chemmeen Ularthiyathu is one such thing.
- 1 kg Prawn (chemmeen) cleaned
- 1/2 cup Coconut slices (thenga kothu)
- 2-3 Gamboge (kudampuli) (Soaked in water)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 3 -4 Pearl onions sliced
- 1 inch ginger thinly sliced
- 3- 4 claws of Garlic
- 3 – 4 Green chilies
- 2 – 3 sprigs of Curry leaves
- 2 – 3 tbsps. Coconut oil
- Salt – To taste
- Cook prawns in a sous pan or curry chatty/ meen chatti (Kerala Clay Pot), along turmeric powder,chili powder, coconut slices (thenga kothu) optional, few curry leaves, kudampuli, sliced ginger, salt and very little water. Note: while cooking prawns will leave water.
- Cook covered for about 10 minutes at medium heat until prawns are done and water is almost evaporated.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onion, garlic, green chilies and curry leaves. Sauté until onion turns slightly golden. Add chili powder. Sauté until their raw smell is gone. Add the cooked prawns. Stir-fry for 5 – 8 minutes at medium-high heat. Add more coconut oil if required. Switch off and serve warm with rice.