Kumbalanga moru curry, is a traditional Kerala curry, which is served in all sadya. Even if it is a Vegetarian Sadya or Non Vegetarian Sadya, Moru curry or Pulissery will go very well. Moru Curry is a common dish in every Malayalee household. Moru curry is prepared with different vegetables other than Kumbalanga such as Chembu, Chena, Kaya, Talu etc…
- 1 ½ cups Kumbalanga (Ash Gourd) diced
- 1 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 5 Green chilli slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp. Ginger thinly sliced
- 2 Cup Yoghurt/Curd
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tsp. Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. Fenugreek seeds
- 2 Dried red chilli
- A hand full Curry Leaves
- 4 small onion/shallots
- 3 Garlic thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Cook the diced kumbalanga with ginger, chilli, Turmeric and salt adding just enough water, do not add more water. Once the kumbalanga is cooked well and water is reduced. Remove from heat.
- Beat curd with a pinch of salt, and if needed add a little water
- Add this to the cooked kumbalanga and mix well, heat this over a very low flame keep on stirring so that it will not curdle. Don’t let it boil and remove.
- Heat oil in a pan. Crackle mustard seeds then add fenugreek seeds, a hand full curry leaves, dried red chilli, small onion and garlic and fry. Pour this prepare the tempering and over the curry.
- Serve with rice.