These take some time, but are pretty easy to put together. I can say is, these stuffed buns are so warm, soft and the balance of flavors you get with every bite. In any case, the bread dough is fairly straightforward. It involves one crucial, dead simple step at the beginning, which involves making a quick five-minute paste with flour, warm milk, sugar, oil and salt. The paste is then mixed with the rest of the dough ingredients, and you knead the heck out of it until it’s smooth. Easy….
My excitement with this particular pastry is that it’s my sons request to make these, his school snack box special…
- 2 1/4 cups Maida/all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Active dry yeast
- 2 tbsps. Warm water
- 1 ½ tbsps. Sugar
- 1/2 cup Warm Milk
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 Egg Beaten
- Butter as required
- 1 tsp. White Sesame Seeds for Sprinkling
- Cooked and Shredded Chicken
- 2 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp. Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp. Red chili powder
- 1 ½ tsps. Coriander powder
- ½tsp. Garam Masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Few Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water with 1tsp sugar and 1tsp flour. Leave aside for some time or till it gets frothy.
- Into warm milk add sugar, oil and salt. Mix well with a wooden spoon beat well till the sugar dissolves. One can do this in a food processer for fast result.
- Add 1 cup flour beat with wooden spoon and mix to a smooth paste. In a processer for some time.
- Add the beaten egg, yeast and mix. Add the remaining flour and mix well till it forms smooth dough.
- Knead well for 10 minutes. Let it rest till it doubles in volume.
Prepare the chicken filling:
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel; add the onions and sauté for 4 minutes till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for 4 minutes..
- Reduce the heat, add the red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix well. Add salt to taste. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and cool. Add coriander leaves and mix.
- Punch down the dough lightly using your palm and divide the dough equally.
- Flatten each portion and fill with 1 tbsp. of the chicken filling. Re-shape into a smooth ball. Brush butter and sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- Let it sit/prove for another 20 minutes.
- Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees C for 20-25 mins. or till golden brown.