Butter chicken or murgh makhani is an Indian dish from the Punjab region popular in countries all over the world that have a tradition of Indian restaurants. The preparation involves two steps. First, marinate and cook chicken. Second, prepare the sauce. This is a kid-friendly curry, So I love it.
- 800 grams. Chicken (I used boneless)
- 1 cup Yoghurt
- 1 tbsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp. Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp. Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp. Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Butter or Oil to coat
For Makhni Gravy
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tbsp. Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp. Garlic paste
- 4 Green chillies, chopped(can be reduced according to taste)
- 1 tbsp. Red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. Dry Fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- 1 tbsp. Whole garam masala(6 green cardamoms, 10 cloves, 10 peppercorns and 1 inch cinnamon)
- ¼ cup Tomato puree
- ½ tsp. Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- 1 cup Fresh Cream
- Cut chicken in to pieces, wash and drain water completely.
- Mix together the ingredients for marinade, yogurt, red chilli powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, garam masala powder and oil.
- Apply this marinade to the chicken pieces and refrigerate for three to four hours.
- Put the chicken onto a skewer and cook. I cooked on a tava, by slightly oiling the tava, in a medium to high flame. It can be cooked in a moderately hot tandoor or a preheated oven (200°C) for ten to twelve minutes or until almost done.
- Brush it with butter and cook for another two minutes.
- Remove it from heat, cover it and set aside.
- Heat butter in a wide pan. Add whole garam masala; green cardamoms, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon. Sauté for two minutes
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chillies. Cook for two minutes.
- Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt and a cup of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add cooked tandoori chicken pieces and cook for some time, water should reduce and sous get thickened.
- Add sugar or honey and adjust the taste add salt if needed.
- Add powdered kasoori methi. Simmer for five minutes and then add fresh cream.
Serve hot with naan or parantha or as you wish