Matar paneer is a vegetarian north Indian dish consisting of peas and paneer in a tomato based sauce, spiced with garam masala. Matar means green peas and paneer is cottage cheese which can be prepared at home easily by following few steps. Green peas curry does not get an easy welcome at my home but this one is a hit.
- 1 tbsp. Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 2 Onion Chopped
- 1 tbsp. Ginger Garlic paste
- 4 Green Chillies Chopped
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tomatoes Chopped
- 2 tbsp. Yogurt
- 1 tbsp. Cashew paste
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- 1 tsp. Cilantro Chopped
- 2 tsp. Fresh Cream
- ¼ tsp. Cumin seeds Powder
- ¼ tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ tsp. Fennel Seed Powder
- Salt to taste
- Take oil in a pan add fenugreek seeds in to it and keep it aside for some time.
- Keep the pan in fire and heat, till the fenugreek seeds turns brown. Remove from heat strain the oil and keep it aside.
- Now heat the same oil add onion and fry it till it turns brown.
- Once the onion is browned add ginger garlic paste, green chillies and turmeric powder mixed with little water (adding water will keep turmeric from getting burned).
- Add tomato and cook till oil separates.
- Add yogurt and cashew paste to this and cook for few minutes.
- Once this is cooked well, remove from heat. Once it is cooled put this in a blender and make a smooth paste, strain it.
- Bring this strained sauce back to the pan and boil. Add green peas and paneer and cook well (paneer can be shallow fried before adding) add salt to taste.
- Now add fresh cream, cumin powder, garam masala powder and fennel powder and mix.
- Add chopped cilantro and mix. Check the salt and adjust.
- Remove from fire when a boil comes. Serve hot, garnished with the coriander leaves.
It is often served with rice and naan, paratha, poori, or roti.