Chicken coconut fry is a tasty chicken fry and it’s easy to make. The dish can either be served as a starter or as a side dish with parotta, chapati or rice. The chicken is marinated with dried red chilli paste and many flavorful spices, deep-fried in coconut oil and served with crispy and spicy fried coconut, curry leaves and green chillies.
From the time I made this chicken fry at home for the first time, this recipe has become very popular in my family. We make it very often.
Chilli paste used in my recipe is homemade, before boiling seeds are removed from the chilli to make it less spicy. Chilli paste gives that luxurious red color to the curry whether it is for BBQ Paneer or Chicken fry.
Chicken Coconut Fry Recipe
- ½ Cup Grated coconut
- 800 Grams Tender Chicken (Cut into pieces, bone in)
- 10 – 12 Whole Kashmiri Chilli or 1 ½ Tablespoon Chilli Paste
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 8 Garlic cloves
- ½ Inch Ginger
- ¼ Teaspoon Fennel seed
- ¼ Teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Cardamom
- 2 Clove
- Salt to taste
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 3 Green Chilli Slit or cut Lengthwise
- Coconut oil – 2 cup
- Wash clean and drain water completely from chicken and keep it aside.
- Prepare the marinade. Boil Kashmiri red chilli (remove the seeds to reduce the heat) in water for 10 minutes in a low flame. Then grind it into a fine paste. (Can use bottled 1 ½ tablespoon red chilli paste which will give a nice red colour to the chicken when fried).
- Grind garam masala to powder; fennel seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom and clove. Or use a teaspoon of garam masala powder.
- Make a paste of ginger and garlic, or 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with 1 tablespoon chilli paste, garam masala, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste and salt.
- Keep aside for a minimum of 2 hours or keep it overnight in refrigerator. In general, two hours of marinating is long enough to soak up the flavor in to the chicken.
- Add ½ tablespoon of the red chilli paste to the grated coconut and mix. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in Wok or deep-frying pan.
- Once oil is really hot reduce the heat to medium. Then add chicken pieces one by one, do not overcrowd the pieces, make sure the pieces aren’t touching one another in the pan. Cook in batches if needed, this will help in browning the pieces well.
- Once the chicken pieces are done or well fried. Remove from oil and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan, add coconut and chilli paste mixture, green chilli and curry leaves spring. Fry for some time.
- Now add the fried chicken pieces into it, mix well until coconut mixture is coated well on chicken pieces.
- Now the chicken coconut fry is ready to serve.
- Serve it with rice, chapatti, nan, bread, parotta etc.