Pot roast is wonderful at any time of the year, but is extra comforting during this cooler weather. A big pot roast filled with carrots, onions, bay leaves and a bit of herbs is really a comforting family meal. I start with browning meat in little bit of olive oil and a few seasonings, then browning the onions, a carrot and celery and adding my stock and then popping it into the oven to do its magic.
Pot Roast with Vegetables Recipe
- Olive oil as required
- 800 grams Roast Beef
- Salt as Required
- Black Pepper as Required
- 2 Onions cut
- 1 Carrot cut
- 2 stalks celery cut
- 1 tsp. flour
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp. dried mixed Italian herbs
- Heat a heavy bottom deep pan, over medium heat, drizzle olive oil.
- Rub a generous amount of salt, pepper and herbs all over the roast and spread evenly to coat, with your hands.
- Place the roast in the pan and brown the roast on all sides by turning the roast.
- Once browned remove from pan and keep it aside.
- Add in bay leaf, onion, celery cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for few minutes.
- Then add beef broth and vinegar, bring it to boil.
- Transfer the roast back to the pot.
- Cook on low heat for 2 – 3 hours, covered. Till done.
- Remove from pan and keep it aside.
- Strain the sauce and bring the sauce back to the pot.
- Add Potatoes and carrot to this and cook.
- Serve the roast warm on top of vegetables and sauce.