Whenever we think of biryani we usually think of any non-vegetarian biryani like mutton, chicken etc. In case if we order a vegetable biryani at any restaurant we get something similar to pulao. So I wasn’t a fan of vegetable biryani till the time I ate one delectable veg biryani…..
It changed some years back while I was working in Al Ain, India won cricket match against Pakistan. It’s Party Time for Indians, Of Course! So it was decided, we all pooled our money to order food. It was in February or March and I had lent so I opt for vegetarian food.
The dish was a potpourri of delectable treat, mildly spiced Vegetable Biryani. I was amused to see various vegetables incorporated so well in the dish. There were potatoes, cauliflower, brinjal/eggplant, capsicum, french beans and carrots.
The very next day I tried to recreate the same. It was highly appreciated by my family. That day onwards, veg biryani has been an integral part of my veg menu, if it is lent or a dinner for friends.
The beauty of veg biryani is that you can add any vegetable. I had mentioned only potatoes, carrots and beans in my recipe. Other vegetables like beetroot, corn (baby corn also), broccoli, raw papaya etc…. I like paneer/tofu with this….
Vegetable Biryani Recipe
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsp. Cashews
- 2 tbsp. Raisins
- 1 cup Onions Sliced Thinly
- ¼ cup Oil
- 2 Potatoes Peeled and Cubed
- 1 Carrot Peeled and Cubed
- ½ cup Cauliflower Florets
- ½ cup French Beans Cut Lengthwise
- 2 Onions Sliced
- 2 Tomatoes Sliced
- 2” Cinnamon
- 8 Cloves
- 4 Cardamoms
- 1 nob of Ginger
- 6 Cloves of Garlic
- 4 Green Chillies Cut Lengthwise
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp. pepper powder
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp. ghee
- Soaked rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Cook the rice in 5 cups of water with salt, till its done.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and add the ½ cup sliced onions and fry till golden brown, drain and keep it aside.
- Then add the cashew, the raisin in the same oil and saute for a minute on a low flame and keep aside.
- In the same pan add ghee, and then add the cinnamon, cloves and the cardamoms and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the 3 medium sliced onions and fry them till golden brown.
- Grind ginger, garlic and green chillies and add this to the onion and saute again.
- Add the garam masala powder, turmeric powder and pepper powder and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add tomatoes and cook till oil separates.
- Add the vegetables and cover and cook. Add water if needed, do not make it watery.
- Add yogurt and wait till it start to simmer.
- In a biryani pot or deep pot layer of the vegetable mix and rice, by little rice in the bottom then the vegetable mix, top it with chopped mint and coriander, then again rice.
- To finish the top sprinkle fried onions, cashew and raisin, some saffron strands dissolved in milk or water and mint and coriander.
- Close with a tight lid and cook on a low flame for 15 minutes or so.
- Serve it with some raita, pickle and pappad.
Other Biryani Recipies:-