Ulli vada, vada is a type fritters, and ulli vada can be termed as onion fritters. It is otherwise called as onion bajji It is a popular tea time snack in Kerala(India). Every other household in Kerala has their own version of making ulli vada. I like my ulli vada fried with just right amount of batter. The batter just coats the onions, which will in turn give it the right amount of crispness to it. They are crunchy and slightly spicy to make a perfect combination with hot chai (tea).
Ulli Vada/Onion Fritters Recipe
- 2 Onions
- 1 tsp. Ginger
- 5 Curry Leaves
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- ½ cup Gram Flour
- 2 tbsp. Rice flour
- 1 tbsp. Coriander leaves Finely Chopped
- 1 Green chilli Finely Chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil to Deep Fry
- Slice the Onion lengthwise and very thin. Slice ginger to thin strips.
- In a bowl add onion slices separated, ginger curry leaves, chilly and coriander and mix well.
- In another bowl mix the dry ingredients, gram flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Combine well.
- Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients to the onion mixture, combine well.
- Add a few drops of water if you feel the mix is not coming together. Do not add more water.
- When the oil is hot reduce the heat to medium.
- Using a spoon take some of the mixture and drop in to the hot oil.
- Be careful not to overcrowd the pan; stir carefully to stop them sticking together or to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for some minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden.
- Drain on a paper towel, serve hot.
- Pan-frying with just an inch of oil will also works perfectly.