Stew goes best with bread or appam because of its mildly spiced preparation with chicken or mutton with vegetables or only vegetable in coconut milk. It’s delicious, flavorful, very appetizing and easy on stomach.
In winter you get lovely red carrots which make the stew even more delectable. Mutton stew is a popular stew prepared in Kerala. So here’s my Mam’s recipe of mutton stew which I prepared for Christmas with appam to break the fast…..
Mutton Stew Recipe
- 500 grams Mutton
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 inch Ginger Thinly Sliced
- 6 Green Chillies Slit
- 1 Potato Cubed
- 1 Carrot Cubed
- ¼ cup French Beans Cut
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- 1 cup Coconut Milk thick
- 1 cup Coconut Milk Thin
- 1” Cinnamon Piece
- 6 Cloves
- 4 Cardamom
- 1 tsp. Whole Peppercorn
- 4 Shallots Sliced
- Salt to Taste
- Curry Leaves Few
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- Cook the mutton pieces with ginger green chillies whole spices (peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom) and salt in a pressure cooker till well done.
- Add potato, carrot, beans, onion and peas (it is ok to add any vegetable of choice).
- Mix everything together with thin coconut milk and adjust the salt.
- Cook till vegetables are done and gravy reduces and thickens.
- Once the gravy thickens and reduced add thick coconut milk and let it simmer, do not boil.
- Heat oil in another pan (preferred coconut oil.
- Fry sliced shallots and curry leaves, fry till onions are browned.
- Pour this over the stew and serve hot with appam.
- Tip: Adding a piece of cinnamon and few cloves while browning the onion will give an extra flavor.
You may also like: