So the holiday season may be over, but that doesn’t mean that celebrations have to be end. Celebrations are something that we use as an excuse to enjoy life. We should change our perception of how we view life and make every day a celebration because every day really is a gift. Begin the day with a sense of gratitude and celebrations; then you are bound to have more joy for the rest of the day. Make it a goal to celebrate life in some way, however small, every day. “There are no little things. Little things are the hinges of the universe.”
Fish biryani is made of fish of your choice marinated and cooked in spices, fresh herbs and layered and baked with rice into a luxurious gourmet. Chicken biryani, mutton biryani, prawns/shrimp biryani, egg biryani, fish biryani are some variations in biryani. A biryani is a complete meal in itself, delicious and rich in flavors.
Fish Biryani Recipe
- 1 kg Basmati rice
- 1 kg King fish
- ¼ kg Vanaspati
- 25 grams Ghee
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp. Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp. Cardamom
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Clove
- ½ tsp. Nutmeg
- ½ tsp. Mace
- ½ tsp. Caraway Seeds
- 15 grams. Garlic
- 50 grams. Kismis
- 50 grams. Cashew nuts
- Salt to Taste
- 50 grams Green Chilli
- 25 grams. Ginger
- ¼ kg Tomato
- 1 tsp. Mint Leaves
- 1 tsp. Coriander Leaves
- Few Curry Leaves
- Heat a pan, add Vanaspati and fry thinly sliced onion in it till golden brown.
- Remove half of the fried onion and keep it aside.
- Add Kismis and nuts, to this add half of ( ¼ tsp each)cardamom, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, mace and caraway seeds fry for few minutes.
- Now add crushed green chilies, garlic and ginger and fry.
- To this add chopped mint and coriander leaves.
- Add sliced tomatoes and cook well, add water if needed.
- Marinate clean and sliced fish with coriander powder and turmeric powder mix well to coat.
- Slightly fry the fish on oil and keep it aside.
- In a deep pot boil water in a ratio of 1 ½ cup of water for 1 cup of rice.
- Add rice to the boiling water, with salt and fennel seeds, and ¼ tsp. of cardamom, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, mace, and caraway seeds.
- Once the rice is cooked completely, drain it and keep it aside.
- Make a layer of the rice in a greased heavy bottomed vessel/nonstick pan and then spread the masala topped with fish pieces and then fried onion.
- Repeat the layering ending with rice topped with fried onion
- Now cover it with a tight lid.
- Heat a thava/dosa kallu, when it is really hot, place the biryani vessel on top of that.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest flame & cook for 20-25 mins. Keep the heat at the lowest flame throughout, otherwise it might get burnt.
- Serve Biryani with raita, papad and pickle as preference.
Other Biryani Recipes: