When we talk about salad, ie Arabic salad it is not all about a big bowl full of leafy greens. Middle Eastern salads are dainty, bright and beautiful, made from finely chopped mixtures of fresh vegetables and herbs.
Fattoush is Middle Eastern salad, which has toasted or fried pieces of pita bread or kuboos in it. Fatta are basically dishes where leftover pita is mixed with vegetable and herbs and olive oil to give it a second chance to be a star ingredient in a salad like fattoush. There is a good combined of vegetables such as lettuces, cucumber, capsicum, radishes, tomatoes etc.
Fattoush has become one of my family’s favorite salads; it is simple and easy salad. I even make a meal out of it.
Fattoush Salad Recipe
- 2 Pita Bread
- 1 Lettuce Chopped
- 1 Cucumber Cubed
- 3 Tomatoes Cubed
- 1 Red Capsicum Cubed
- 5 Onions Thinly Sliced
- 5 Radishes Stems Removed Thinly Sliced
- 1 tbsp. Parsley Leaves Chopped
- 1 tbsp. Mint Leaves Chopped
- 1 tbsp. Olives Without Seeds
- 100 grams. Feta Cheese, Less Salt
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp. Sumac Powder
- Toast the pita bread until crisp.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, capsicum and onion with the sliced radish, parsley and mint.
- To make the lime vinaigrette, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, garlic and spices in a small bowl.
- Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and toss lightly.
- Finally, add the pita chips, cheese, and olives and toss one more time.
- Transfer to small serving bowls or plates to serve.