“Happy Republic Day 2017”
As a child, I have a lot of good school memories of this day. We would get ready early to school the Republic Day parade, the flag hosting, those stage programs which we girls put up, the after snack and all that fun we had. School days are so beautiful…. Good old memories!
Just now I was watching the Republic day program in TV, this year’s guest of honor is the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, which makes it special for all the Indians in Abu Dhabi.
“Happy Australia Day”
Anyway coming back to these cookies, these are simple sugar cookies which have with colorful icing to mark the day. T decorate the cookie mix 1 cup confectioners’ sugar with about 1 tablespoon milk mixed with food coloring… and that’s it…
Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. Almond Flavor
- 2 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a another bowl and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter until creamed and smooth.
- Add the sugar and beat on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract and beat until fully combine.
- Add about half of the flour mixture, beating until just barely combined.
- Add the rest of the flour and continue mixing until just combined.
- If the dough still seems too soft, it can be adjusted by adding a tablespoon of flour at a time and combine.
- At the end the flour should be at a rolling consistency.
- Divide the dough into 2 or 3 equal parts.
- Roll each portion out onto a piece of parchment to about 1/4″ thickness.
- Cut out in any desired shape.
- Stack the pieces with paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 180°C.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes, until very lightly colored on top and around the edges.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- Make the icing and decorate the cooled cookies however you’d like.