Kerala Beef Fry/Beef Ularthiyathu recipe has hundreds of variations. This is the one I have inherited from my grandmother, my grandmother used to make it and my father likes it a lot. LOL, whatever a wife makes, how best a wife cooks, man always find his mother’s cooking the best.
Beef Fry, preparation involves marinating the beef, cook the beef and then pan fry till the beef is completely dry. Traditionally, it is prepared in coconut oil it is ok to use any oil. Addition of coconut slices while frying gives that authentic taste. I sometimes skips it because it is hard to find it in grocery.
This is a bit spicy recipe, spices can be adjusted as preference, it tastes great with spices. Usually it is served with boiled brown rice, it will go well with parotta or chapati.
Beef Ularthiyathu / Beef Fry Recipe
- 500 grams Beef Cubes
- 1 tbsp. Coriander Powder
- ½ tbsp. Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp. Ginger Chopped
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Chopped
- 6 Green Chillies Slit
- Hand Full Curry leaves
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp. Fennel Seeds
- 6 Cloves
- 4 Cardamom
- ½ inch Cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Small onion/Perl Onion Sliced
- ¼ cup Garlic Sliced
- ½ cup Coconut Pieces/Thengakothu Cut in to Bite size
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper Crushed
- Coconut oil
- Marinate the beef cubes with coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger, garlic, curry leaves, green chilli, black pepper powder and salt.
- Pressure cook the marinated beef for 2 or 3 whistles until beef is cooked properly.
- Note: Add water if necessary only, if water is more there is a chance to overcook the beef.
- Switch off and set aside for the pressure to release.
- If there is water/gravy then heat the cooker uncovered so that the moisture is completely evaporated.
- Taste and adjust salt.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion, garlic, coconut pieces and curry leaves.
- Saute it, until it becomes golden brown.
- Add the cooked beef in to the pan and stir well.
- Stir over a medium flame, till it is roasted well.
- Add freshly crushed pepper powder.
- Serve hot….