Sponge Cake With Nuts and Whipped Cream Frosting
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Cake Flour/All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Caster Sugar/Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Essence
Filling and Decoration
- 1 cup Strawberry (Few Cut and whole)
- ½ cup melted sugar
- Fruit syrup to moisture the cake
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Almonds/Walnuts Chopped
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 3 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C / gas mark 4.
- Measure all the ingredients, bring it to room temperature and keep it aside.
- In the large bowl crack all 4 eggs.
- Now with the help of an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat eggs for 1 minute on high speed.
- Gradually add sugar and continue beating 8-10 minutes until thick and fluffy.
- Swift together 1 cup flour and 1 tsp. baking powder.
- Then sift this mixture into fluffy egg mixture one-third at a time.
- Fold with a spatula with each addition just until incorporated.
- Scrape spatula from the bottom to catch any pockets of flour and stop mixing when no streaks of flour remain.
- Do not over-mix or you will deflate the batter.
- Pour it in to prepared cake tin.
- Place them in the oven till golden brown 15-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
- In a sous pan add ½ cup sugar.
- Cook the sugar until it turns brown in colour.
- Add the chopped nuts and mix well.
- Spread the nuts mixture in a greased pan.
- Once it is cooled mince the nuts and keep it aside.
Whipped Cream Frosting
- Pour whipping cream in to stand mixer/a bowl
- Add sugar and vanilla.
- Beat on high for 5 minutes using a beater.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then continue to whip on high.
- After whipping for 5 minutes, till the whipping cream is firm enough.
- To check, scoop some whipping cream on to a spoon and hold it upside down.
- It should stay in place and not fall off the spoon.
- Keep it in the refrigerator.
Frost a Layer Cake
- Slice the cake across using a bread knife or other serrated knife.
- Keep one slice on the cake board.
- Spread few spoons of fruit syrup on the cake to keep it moist.
- Place some whipped cream frosting on the first layer and spread evenly.
- Cut and spread a layer of strawberry on top of cream layer.
- Keep the second half of the cake on top of strawberry layer.
- Apply the next portion of the whipped cream frosting over the cake.
- Using a spatula gently pull the frosting toward the cake edges
- Work to frost all layer evenly.
- Make sure to evenly frost the sides as well.
- Coat all sides of the cake with prepared nut crunch.
- Decorate with fresh cream, chocolate dipped strawberry and caramel.