This Egyptian sweet dessert Umm Ali is totally delicious and easy to make. It is some way similar to bread pudding. In bread pudding we use bread and egg here it is puff pastry and fresh cream. Instead of puff pastry bread or croissant can be used. Umm Ali literally means “Ali’s Mother“.
Umm Ali Recipe
- 1 sheet Puff/ 10 small square slices
- ¼ cup Almond Flakes
- ¼ cup Pistachios
- ¼ cup Golden raisins
- 4 cup Milk
- 1 cup Fresh Cream
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp. Vanilla essence
- Bake puff pastry according to package directions and cooled to room temperature.
- Spread it evenly in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle almonds, pistachios and golden raisins over the pastry (reserve some nuts to garnish).
- Combine together milk, fresh cream/half and half, cinnamon powder sugar and vanilla essence and bring to boil.
- Reduce the flame and cook it for another 3 – 4 minutes stirring continuously.
- Remove this from flame and pour this over the crumbled bread.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree and bake it for about 15 – 20 minutes, till it slightly changes the colour.
- Remove from the oven and top it with remaining nuts.
- Serve cooled or hot, it is tasty both ways…