Samboosek or Samosas
Samboosek or samosas are Southeast Asian snacks or savory. Samosas are pastry shell with fillings, filling can be vegetarian, a mixture of vegetables and meat or an all meat filling.
I love the contrast between the crispy buttery pastry that crackles as you bite into it and the blast of flavor from the filling.
They are easy to make, great as a starter, they make for a wonderful portable meal. There is a world of choices for the filling which makes it easy to please everyone.
Samboosek or Samosas Recipe
- Phyllo Dough, sheets
- 500 grams Ground Beef, or Lamb
- 2 Onions, Grated
- 1 tsp Black Pepper, Ground
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Parsley
- Oil as Required
- Salt to taste
- To prepare the filling: combine all the ingredients in a skillet, season with salt and cook over low heat until meat is done.
- Add chopped parsley and set aside to cool.
- Lay out the filo pastry, spoon in the filling right down one end and fold over in triangular turns until you reach the other end.
- Finally brush with a little flour paste (Mix little all-purpose flour with little water and make a paste).
- Fry the samboosak in a pan of heated vegetable oil until golden brown from both sides.
- Serve hot.