Pistachio Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
It was raining the whole night; the weather is so nice and fresh, everywhere looks green and colorful because of the blooming trees and flowers. My pistachio cake is so apt for the season. The batter for this cake is filled with finely chopped pistachios and then decorated with even more.
I wanted to make a pistachio cake for my husband’s birthday. I went through many recipes, most of the recipes I found calls for using the pudding mixture or ready to use cake mix, finally I got this one. This doesn’t even call for pistachio paste. In this recipe roughly / finely chopped pistachio is used which gives the proper texture for this cake.
This is a beautiful green cake perfect for any spring party!! The cake is loaded with pistachios, the lite and creamy cheese filling, frosting… and topped with that yummy chocolate ganache …..
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 3 cups Cake Flour
- 1 cup Pistachios (not flavored)
- 1tbsp.Baking Powder
- 1 cup Butter
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Milk
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. Cream of Tarter
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp. Rose Water
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 cup Double Cream
- Green Gel Food Color (Optional)
- 4 ounces of Semi Sweeten Chocolate
- 4 Ounces of Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ tsp. Vanilla
- ½ tsp. Rose Water or to taste(Optional)
- 3 – 4 cups Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Cream
- Pistachios for Decoration
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Prepare 2 (9inch) round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- Stir together milk and vanilla and keep it aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy and pale color.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- In a food processor mince up the pistachios.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- Mix minced pistachios with the flour mixture.
- Add to the flour mixture to the butter mixture in batches,
- Alternate flour mixture with the milk mixture.
- Begin with and end with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with cream of tarter at medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the egg whites in to the flour mixture.
- Divide the batter equally into the prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (30 to 35 minutes or so)
- Cool in pans on wire racks.
- Turn the cakes out onto wire racks, remove the parchment paper then.
- Cool completely before filling and frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add the rose water, vanilla and salt and mix to incorporate together.
- Add the heavy cream; scrape down the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Start the mixer on low and gradually increase the speed to high and beat the mixture until it is stiff and holds a peak.
- Heat heavy Cream and pout over the semi sweeten chocolate.
- Mix till chocolate melts enough that both ingredients mix together to form a runny, silky mixture.
- Add the butter to a mixing bowl and beat till the butter turns fluffy pale color.
- Add the vanilla and rose water and blend well, about 3 minutes.
- On medium speed begin adding the confectioners’ sugar, a cup at a time.
- Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides and bottom.
- Add the cream, a couple teaspoons at a time till it reaches to the desired consistency.
To Assemble and Decorate the Cake
- Level the cake layers then place one layer on a cake plate or cake stand.
- Add enough of the filling on the cake to create a ½inch thick layer.
- Add the second cake layer, positioning it upside down so that the top of the cake is flat.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake with a light coating of the cream cheese frosting.
- Place the cake into the refrigerator.
- Pour chocolate dripping on top of the cake.
- Decorate with buttercream flowers and pistachio.