Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic French chicken dish, “cordon bleu” means “blue ribbon”. I tried this for the first time in Zürich which was served with a simple white wine cream sauce finishes it off. Later, after the trip I downloaded the recipe from internet and tried. It’s far easier to make than you may think.
Chicken breast is pounded thin, then wrapped around a slice of smoked ham and a bit of Swiss cheese, and secured with toothpicks. The dipped in egg and coated in bread crumbs, then pan-fried until golden brown. Chicken Cordon Bleu is an easy, moist, classic chicken recipe for any occasion. I make it as weeknight dinner dish and serve with some boiled vegetables.
So here is the recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu, Happy Cooking!!!!!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
- 2 Chicken Breast
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper
- 4 slices Swiss Cheese
- 4 slices Cooked Ham
- ¼ cup Flour
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- ¼ cup Butter
- ½ cup Cream
- Lay the chicken breasts between pieces of wax paper and use a mallet to pound them to 1/4 inch thick.
- Layer 1 ham slice and 1 cheese slice in the center.
- Roll up to completely enclose the ham and cheese and secure with toothpicks.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Lightly dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, then dip in the egg and coat with bread crumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet and chill at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the butter.
- Add the chicken and cook, turning carefully with tongs, until browned.
- Add 1/2 cup of the stock to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Move the chicken to a warm platter.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp. flour to the skillet and cook.
- Stirring up browned bits clinging to the bottom.
- Add heavy cream lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the consistency of gravy.
- Serve it with the Chicken Cordon Bleu.