A Feast, Birthday or Marriage (Perunnalo Pirannallo Kalliyanamo…), BIRYANI is the king of all dishes. A perfect and delicious one pot meal….
- 1 kg Biryani Rice (Soaked in enough water for 20 minutes)
- 4 pieces 1 inch length Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 tbsp. Kismis/Raisin
- 2 tbsp. Cashew nuts
- 250 gms. Ghee/ Clarified Butter
- 250 gms. Onion thinly sliced
- 1 kg Chicken cut into medium pieces
- 25 Green chilies, silted chopped
- 2 tbsps. Ginger crushed
- 2 tbsps. Garlic crushed
- 2 tbsps. Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsps. Cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsps. Mint leaves chopped
- 2 tbsps. Cilantro grinded and made in to paste
- 2 tbsps. Kas Kas/Poppy Seeds (this can be substituted with Cashew nuts, if needed n)
- 1 Cup Yoghurt
- 6 Cardamom
- ¼ piece Nutmeg/Jadikka
- 1 tbsp. Mace/Jathipathri /Javithri )
- 1 tbsp. Shah Jeera/Caraway seed
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Stick Cinnamon
- 2 cups Maida/Atta (optional)
- Grind masala Cardamom, Nutmeg/Jadikka, Mace/Jathipathri /Javithri ) Shah Jeera/Caraway seed, Cloves, Stick Cinnamon and keep it aside
- Heat Ghee in a pan fry sliced onion, and then Cashew nuts, Kismis/Raisin keep it a side.
- In a big vessel/Biriyni pot (heavy-bottomed vessel or an oven-proof) add chicken pieces, Green chilies, Ginger crushed, Garlic crushed, Lemon Juice, Cilantro chopped, Mint leaves chopped, Cilantro paste, Kas Kas/Poppy Seeds or Cashew paste, and Yoghurt mix well.
- Add ½ of the prepared masala and salt to the chicken mix and mix well
- Boil water in a large cooker or any heavy-bottomed vessel. Add the 4 Cinnamon Sticks. Once the water starts boiling add salt, check the taste, one should get the taste of salt in water. Now it’s time to add socked rice. Add rice and cook for some time, or till the rice is half done. Do not allow the rice to cook completely.
- Spread the ½ of the prepared rice over the chicken mix, over that spread ½ of the browned onion(other half for garnish), Cashew nuts and Kismis/Raisin, sprinkle the prepared masala(½ of this was added to chicken)
- Spread the remaining rice and pour the ghee over the rice.
- Cover tightly with a proper lid. Or prepare dough and seal all the sides so that no moisture can escape.
- Keep this on fire and bake for 15 minutes then reduce the flame to the lowest possible and continue baking for another 45 minutes. OR
- This can be backed on an electric oven. Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes. Then 300 F for 30 minutes. Let it rest for another 10 – 15 minutes in the biryani pot. Once opened mix gently top with the rest of the browned onion. Serve hot with raita, chammanthi, pappadam and date-lemon pickle.