Egg Roast is a quick and easy dish, which is high in protein. Even though this dish is native to Kerala, India the recipe may vary slightly from person to person. Basically this recipe consists of hard boiled eggs, which is peeled and then simmered in prepared masala. To prepare the masala thinly sliced onion is caramelized, then masala, tomato and cooked to get that beautiful and aromatic gravy.
This easy egg roast can be made anywhere from mild to red-hot, depending on how much spice you prefer. It’s delicious and can be made as mildly spicy to really hot. This recipe can be served as an accompaniment to Appam, Puttu or with any kind bread. So here it is… Enjoy!
Egg Roast Recipe
- 4 Egg
- 1 tbsp. Ginger Chopped
- 1 tsp. Garlic Chopped
- 6 Green Chilli
- 4 Onion Finely Sliced
- 1 Tomato Sliced
- 1 tsp. Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp. Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 6 Whole Cloves Crushed
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper corns Crushed
- Oil as Required
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves
- Place eggs in a saucepan; add water so that eggs are covered with water.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to the water, and then allow it to a boil for some time.
- Allow it to sit in the hot water for some time.
- Then transfer eggs to cold water, and let it cool completely.
- Remove the shell and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add onion and fry it till golden brown.S
- Add some salt at this point so that the cooking process will get fasten.
- Add ginger, garlic, green chillies and few curry leaves.
- Cook until the onions are browned, keep stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl mix coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder with little water to make a slightly loose paste (it should not be runny).
- Once the onions are browned add in the prepared masala paste.
- Cook on moderate heat, stirring so that the masala does not stick to the bottom or get burned.
- Add the sliced tomato and stir check and adjust salt.
- Once the tomato is cooked add enough water (a cup or so) cover and cook.
- The gravy should be thick yet spoonable.
- Add the boiled eggs halfway through cooking, taste and adjust the salt.
- When the curry is done add the crushed cloves, cinnamon and black pepper and mix.
- Sprinkle curry leaves and remove to a serving dish.