Meen Manga Curry
Fish Curry With Raw Mango
In Coconut Milk
My mom prepares different varieties of fish curry each curry has its own unique flavors. This fish curry is special; it has that tanginess of mangoes combines with sweetness from the coconut milk, spiciness from the chillies. Once this Manga Meen Curry is served over a steaming hot rice, it is a lip smacking. O MY GOD I’m literally drooling ….. 🙂
Any fish can be used to make this dish, My personal preference will Pomfret, Pearl spot, Grey Mullet or Thirutha etc…. Quantity of mango has to be adjusted according to the sourness. For that a taste check has to be done before adding the mangoes. I like my curry to slightly spicy and add more green chillies. It is better to allow the curry to rest for some time before serving, this will allow the flavors to develop.
Meen Manga Curry Recipe
- ½ kg Pomfret, Cleaned, Cut
- 1 Onion Sliced
- ½ inch Ginger Julienne
- 3 Garlic Sliced
- 5 Green Chillies Julienne
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp. Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 2 Raw Mango Sliced Peeled
- 1 cup Medium Thick Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Thick coconut milk
- 2 – 3 tbsp. Coconut oil
- Salt as Required
- Few Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan, better to use a clay pot or manchatti.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add sliced onion and fry till translucent.
- Now add ginger, garlic, curry leaves and chillies.
- Mix coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder together with a little water.
- Now add this mixture to the pan cook for 2-3 minutes, till oil starts appearing.
- Add sliced mango pieces and salt.
- Mix well till everything combines well.
- Add medium thick coconut milk and bring it to boil.
- Reduce the flame to the lowest and add fish pieces.
- Rotate the pan, to make sure that the fish pieces are covered in the gravy.
- Cover and cook till the fish is well cooked.
- Add thick coconut milk and rotate the pan again.
- Cover and cook for few minutes so that the gravy is thick.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil and few curry leaves, this will add to the flavor.
- Let the curry rest for some time, before serving.