Almond Cut Out Cookies
Planning holiday projects with my son, something which will be super easy to make at the same time make him busy, that is Sugar Cookies. These sugar cookies are the PERFECT example of that!
I know the basic recipe for sugar cookies is pretty universal, and I have posted this before, but there’s something which made me post this again. Vanilla is a must in any sugar cookie dough, but in addition to that I add a little almond extract gives the cookies a unique flavor.
Once you make the dough, roll it out between two sheets of parchment or wax paper the let it chill in the refrigerator for about 20 to 30 minutes. This way you can cut perfect shapes with your cookie cutters. Repeat the process of rolling chilling and cutting until the whole dough is used up.
Let the cut out cookies chill in the refrigerator until it is ready for baking. Transfer the cookies into baking sheet; give enough space between the cookies. That way will have enough space to expand while cooking. It really does make a difference!
I used my buttercream recipe to decorate these cookies; these are good as it is…
If you’re planning on making cookies for the holidays, you definitely need to give this recipe a try!
Almond Cut Out Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups of flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until completely combined.
- Roll the dough between 2 sheets of parchment or wax paper and place on a baking sheet in the refrigerator.
- Chill for about 20-30 minutes.
- Cut dough into shapes with cookie cutters and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes, and then transfer to a baking rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.