Lamb Rogan Josh
Rogan Josh is a popular Kashmiri dish; it is a beautiful dish with wholesome blend of exotic spices.
It gets its signature color from those less spicy red Kashmiri chillies and crispy fried onions. Many recipes add tomatoes in this dish but better not, it may bring that color to the dish but it will ruin the authenticity of the dish.
An excellent cut of lamb is another important factor for this dish, so I am using shoulder. Firstly the meat is browned in butter, and then it is slow cooked in dry roasted spices for a whole hour. Thus the meat becomes fork tender and melts in mouth.
Lamb Rogan Josh Recipe
- 1 kg Lamb Shoulder
- 4 Onions
- 2 ½ cm Fresh Ginger
- 8 Garlic Cloves
- 10 Cardamom
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 6 Cloves
- 10 Peppercorns
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 4 tsp. Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 6 tbsp. Yogurt
- ¼ tsp. Garam Masala
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Oil As Required
- Cut and clean lamp into medium size pieces and keep it aside to drain all water.
- Grind ginger and garlic, until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Slice onions and fry it until golden brown and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a wide heavy pot over a medium heat, brown the meat cubes in batches and set it aside.
- Add the cardamom, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon into the same pan.
- Wait until the cloves swell and the bay leaves begin to take on colour.
- Put in the ginger garlic paste and stir for some time.
- Add the coriander, cumin and chilli powder. Stir fry for some time.
- Add the fried meat cubes and juices.
- Mix well till lamp pieces are completely coated with masala
- Now add yoghurt, stir until well blended.
- Now add water if required and bring it to boil.
- Now add the browned onion adjust the salt.
- Cover and cook on low for an hour or until meat is tender.
- Check in between, give the meat a good stir add enough liquid.
- When the meat is tender take off the lid, turn the heat up to medium, and boil away the excess liquid.
- Sprinkle the garam masala and black pepper over the meat before you serve.
- Garnish with cilantro as prefer.
- Serve with rice, roti, naan etc.