Spicy Cabbage Stir Fry in Coconut
Thoran is a must item in every day Kerala lunch. We must say Thoran is prevalent in any Kerala sadhya menu. It is served as an accompaniment with rice and other curries. Thoran is essentially a coconut based vegetable dishes, or more precisely stir-fried vegetable dish served along with other dishes in any sadhya or feast…
If you ask me how I include this easy recipe into my everyday menu then… I serve it with rice, chapati or even as a salad,.. for me any stir fry vegetable is very versatile…
Cabbage thoran is one of its kind that is easy to make. Do not add additional water while cooking cabbage. One thing to remember while cooking any thoran, over cooking can make it soggy and less tasting so do not add water while cooking or use very less, less also can be some times more.. Some other vegetables like beans, Kovakka, spinach, raw papaya, beetroot, carrot, raw jackfruit etc…
Cabbage Thoran Recipe
- ½ of 1 Cabbage Thinly Sliced
- 5 Small Onions /Shallots Chopped
- ½ cup Grated Coconut
- A Pinch of Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 4 Green Chillies
- A Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp. Mustard Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- Mix grated coconut, turmeric powder, shallots, cumin seeds in a grinder, do not make a paste or over grind, just give one or two plus.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it starts to splutter; add curry leaves, slit green chilies mix.
- Add the shredded cabbage and mix well to combine
- Close the pan using a lid and allow it to cook for a minute or so.
- Add the coconut mixture and salt, give it a gentle mix.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Check for doneness and salt.
- Once it is done remove to a serving dish.
- Enjoy with rice or even as a salad…