Steaks With Caramelized Onion
There’s nothing quite like a juicy, sizzling steak. To top of that some lovely sweet flavors of caramelized onions. It takes time to caramelize those onions but is so worth the effort. Its rich, satisfying, and melt in your mouth. Not to mention it’s so easy.
The steaks have to be dried with paper towels before applying the salt and pepper. This will allow the steaks to sear properly instead of steaming.
First, heat your skillet over high heat then add the oil, I used canola oil. As soon as it start to smoke, swirl the oil around so that the oil is well coated. Then add then steak and reduce to medium-high heat. As for the perfect “doneness” of your steak… that’s up to you. I suggest using a meat thermometer. Just remember that once you pull your steak out of the oven and you have to let it rest, so cover it with a baking foil and let it rest for some time…
Steaks With Caramelized Onion Recipe
- 3 Steaks
- 4 tbsp. Oil
- 2 cups Onions Finely Chopped
- 1 tbsp. Thyme
- 3 tbsp. Vinegar
- 3 tbsp. Butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 8 tbsp. Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp. Mustard Powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Parsley Finely Minced
- Place steaks on a baking sheet or pan and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the steaks with desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Heat skillet over high heat.
- Add oil which has high smock point.
- When it starts to smoke, reduce heat to medium-high and add steaks.
- Cook for 4 minutes each side.
- Add Butter and Thyme.
- Remove the steak from pan and keep it aside in a baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Add onions to the pan and fry till golden brown.
- Once onion is browned or caramelized add vinegar and give it a mix.
- Top the steaks with the caramelized onion mixture.
- Bake about 5 minutes, in the preheated oven and then check doneness.
- Once steak reaches desired doneness, remove from the oven.
- Spoon pan juices over the top of the steak, let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Herb Butter by mashing all of the Herb Butter ingredients together in a medium bowl until blended.
- Add to a piece or parchment paper or plastic wrap and form into a log as your roll up the paper/wrap.
- Twist the end of the paper/wrap and place in the refrigerator until firm (about 1 hour) or ready to use.
- Serve the stakes topped with herbed butter, and additional mashed potatoes as desired.