Tomato and basil is such an incredible combination, whether it is in a salad or as a sauce with pasta or bread. In this soup tomatoes are slow cooked at 180 degrees with some olive oil and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper.
The slow baking process really helps develop more flavors in the tomatoes and causes that natural sweetness to come out. It’s so lovely to complete a chilling evening with a warm, comforting tomato basil soup, and a grilled cheese sandwich to dip.
There is no cream, or any extra sugar, or any unnecessary additives in my Tomato Basil Soup. It a simple, beautiful, creamy, luxurious tomato basil soup without any guilt.
Tomato-Basil Soup Recipe
- 4 Ripe Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Oil
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Black Pepper Ground
- 2 Onions Sliced
- 10 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 cup Tomato Pureed
- 4 cups fresh Basil
- ½ tsp. Thyme
- Water as Required
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Toss together the tomatoes with ¼ Oil, Salt, and Pepper.
- Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- Heat a Sous pan with butter and some oil.
- Add onions and garlic and saute with and red pepper flakes, until the onions start to brown.
- Add the tomato pure, basil, thyme, and enough water.
- Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet.
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered.
- Blend slightly using hand blender/normal blender.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Serve hot or cold.